The League is a grassroots organization and as such, we focus on the issues that our members care the most about. Each year, the state league polls its membership to see which issues are most important to them. Every local league submits priorities. After tabulating each local league’s submissions, the top five areas become priorities for the Legislative Session. Click here for an easily printable PDF version of these priorities.
- Support automatic voter registration (opt-out system), same-day registration, and improved online voter registration.
- Extend deadlines for signature cures, recounts, postmark delays or natural disasters, support a standardized ballot design and state funding for hardware and software to improve the recount process.
- Support home rule for counties and municipalities and oppose any preemptive legislation to counter home rule.
- Support adequate funding for school facilities and operations for the 2020-21 school years to meet the needs of Florida’s schools. Support curriculum developed by educational experts and is science-based.
- Support a statewide assessment and accountability system that provides the same data at appropriate intervals to measure student progress for all schools that receive public funds, directly or indirectly.
- Support higher standards for early childhood education, for both staff and programs.
- Support comprehensive universal background checks.
- Support a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
- Oppose legislation that would expand the right to carry a concealed weapon, carry a weapon on a school or college campus, or have open carry in the state of Florida.
- Protect our drinking water from pollution and our waters from red tide and blue/green algae.
- Support full funding of the Florida Forever land acquisition program and proper implementation of the Water and Legacy Conservation Amendment adopted in 2014, with special emphasis on Everglades restoration.
- Support legislation that would promote the use of solar and wind power and electric cars.
- Support expansion of health care access and affordable coverage for low-income, uninsured, and underinsured under an expansion of Medicaid.
- Oppose barriers to abortion access including gestational limits, state-mandated counseling or extended waiting periods.
- Oppose any state funding of anti-abortion women’s health centers (known as crisis pregnancy centers).
Economic Equality and Affordable Housing
- Mandate the use of all funds from the Sadowski Housing Trust Fund to be used solely for affordable housing.
- Subsidize funding for childcare for low-income working households.
- Support state funding for mass transportation programs for under-served, low-income neighborhoods
- Focus on due process, pretrial housing, and raising the 14-15-year-old baseline for direct file to adult prison.